Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have 2 McCall parrots. My daughter and son in law noticed

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2 McCall parrots. My daughter and son in law noticed some roaches on the nest box. She told me over the phone that they put a bunch of roach hotels behind the nest box. I told her to take them out immediately. She did but I don't know how long they was there. When I got home from our little day and a half vacation. Everyone was in bed. I went to inspect my birds and they are calmer than usual. They are usually kind of aggressive. I smell Raid roach killer on their nest box. I'm worried they may have sprayed it also. Are they going to be okay?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
THIS IS VERY BAD--emergency remove them from th nest box and cage immediately. ANY roach spray anywhere in the house can be fatal, and in their cage it is a huge danger. If you have a small cage and can get them into it, move the sprayed cage outdoors. It will need to be scrubbed with dish detergent many times and rinsed. The nest box needs to be discarded safely but ASAP. Put the birds in an area away from the room where the spray was used.
Immediate effects of roach spray are very severe respiratory effort and distress. If either bird is doing this they both need to get to emergency clinic immediately for oxygen.
They can have intense vomiting, diarrhea, salivation, shaking and even seizures.
If the birds smell like spray, they will need to be showered. Stressful and dangerous but the material needs to be washed off ASAP.
Get back with me
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
I may be off line soon please let me know how they are doing
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Pat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They seem to be doing fine. Thank God. I'm sorry I'm just getting back to you also. I didn't answer immediately because I was busy cleaning their huge cage and showering them. Needless to say we burnt the nest box and changed cages. I was up for 2 days watching them. One of the macaws did start feather picking and she's just about nakid.

Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
I am very glad to hear that they survived. Very lucky indeed. All the stress, and you being gone, and perhaps the chemicals themselves could have contributed to the feather loss. Feather issues can be caused by a multitude of things, including bacterial skin infection, viruses, fungal infections, allergies, metal poisoning, hormonal flux, psychological or combination of these factors. The difficulty is diagnosing the problems and assigning an intelligent treatment plan. Your vet will want to run a number of tests so that appropriate medications can be prescribed.Inflammatory skin/follicle disease is common. The causes can include local infection, metabolic problems, or even intestinal parasites. It can also be a prime area for even more serious problems like skin cancer. An avian-experienced vet should take a look at the poor bird, and run some tests.If this were my patient, and money no object, I would start with complete fecal analysis and direct smear, stained with Sedi-stain and unstained for multiple parasites, fungi, spirals; direct smear stained with Sedi-stain and unstained of the oral cavity and feather pulp; bacterial culture and sensitivity of the feather pulp, feces and choana. Depending on the case I might do a fungal culture. Routine blood work is necessary to rule out other issues. There are MANY DNA/RNA tests for bird diseases--and testing for Borna Virus would be a good idea. Ultrasound is often more informative than radiographs and does not require anesthesia (ask your vet about this option). Generally I start them out on medications as indicated by the tests.Generally I start them out on injectable antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen.