Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Love bird - I have one that is very old approx 13-14yrs old,

Customer Question

Love bird - I have one that is very old approx 13-14yrs old, he has seizures from time to time but his time in here and I don't know what to do. the humane thing would be to put him to sleep but do they even do that for a bird that size?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
Yes of course it is possible. Most bird doctors first anesthesize the little bird with safe and simple gas anesthesia, then give an injection. If he is in very bad condition, or not reviving from seizures, it is the right thing to do.
I had a litle Fischer's with seizures for many years, so I do understand.
If you let me know your geographic area, I might be able to send you links to vets in your area.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer was too late -he died as soon as I walked in the door. I knew of a bird get in my area -that is not what I was asking. I can't afford or justify a probable bill from vet to tell me he is better off dead .