Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

One of the chickens I bought had (I think) fowl pox. Her head

Customer Question

One of the chickens I bought had (I think) fowl pox. Her head became covered in sores and one eye was closed. She was immediately isolated, housed in a dog crate away from the other birds. Two months or so later, she seems much better but still has two or three lumps above her eyes. When (if ever) will it be safe to put her back with the other three chickens or should I get someone to cut off her head?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It's safe to allow her to commingle now. All of your chickens have already been exposed to the fowl pox virus and further quarantining of her isn't helpful. It's important to recognize that transmission of this virus is not only by air but also by infected mosquito. Mosquitoes become infected from feeding on birds with fowl pox virus in their bloodstream. Some investigators think that the mosquito then remains infective for life. Mosquitoes are the primary reservoir and spreaders of fowl pox on poultry ranges. If your other chickens have remained well for two months, it's likely that they are immune to this virus.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about None. How is everything going?

bigislandvet