Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time, with a heavy emphasis on avian medicine.
36050890

I think my canary is ill. A couple days ago he started to fluff

Customer Question

I think my canary is ill. A couple days ago he started to fluff up and he stopped singing. He doesn't move a whole bunch. I'm not sure if it's due to molting, if it's a respitory illness, mites or what. So far I've kept the cage cleaned, he gets fresh veggies and fruits daily, he is in a room without drafts that is all windows so he gets plenty of natural light. I sprayed his cage with mite/ lice spray and I've sprayed him. I ordered scat but it hasn't arrived yet. I don't have an avian vet anywhere near me and I don't want to lose him.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like an answer to my original question. I don't have access to an avian vet and thought that was what I was paying for. I was under the impression that an avian vet would be helping me. If that is not correct please let me know. I don't want my bird to die due to the advice of a non professional
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your canary. I'm so sorry he isn't doing well, but glad you're looking for the information you need.
You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided and are happy to give me a positive rating.
I can understand how upset and worried you must be to be in this situation and not have access to an avian vet who can provide medical care for your canary. Unfortunately, you are not alone. Many people do not have access to avian vets, and I am sorry for that.
Before we continue, however, I want to be sure you understand that while I am a vet with a great deal of experience caring for birds and will attempt to be as helpful as I can, all I can offer you is information and someone to talk to. None of this is a substitute for medical care.
With that being said, do you wish to continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not think I fully understand. Are you saying that ultimately if he is sick you can't help him medically?
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I can provide information about bird care, illnesses, diagnostics, treatments, and prognosis and provide a sounding board for you to discuss your concerns about your bird.
I can give you a very long list of diseases that can cause these symptoms and describe home care/first aid.
But if he is sick he needs to be seen by a doctor who can diagnose his problem and prescribe the necessary treatment. There is no substitute for that.
This website is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical care. From the terms of use...
7. Information Not Advice; No Client-Professional Relationship
Answers of Experts on the Site are provided by Experts and are to be used by Customers for general information purposes only, not as a substitute for in-person evaluation or specific professional (medical, legal, veterinary, tax, financial, etc.) advice. For example, Experts in the Legal category will provide only general information about the law, and will not provide legal advice nor propose a specific course of action for a Customer; by answering questions, Experts do not form attorney-client or doctor-patient relationships with Users of the Site. The laws, regulations, other governing authorities, standards, practices and procedures that apply to your particular question may differ depending on your location and information typically discovered through in-person evaluations or visits. Experts in some categories may be licensed, certified, educated, employed by or have experience in only particular jurisdictions.
...
All of that basically means that while I can do my best to provide you with information, the only way for your canary to get medical care is to see a veterinarian.
In the meantime, I do want to be as helpful as possible. I can answer your questions and provide information, but I cannot diagnose or prescribe treatment for him.