Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have a 3 year old green cheek conure. Today he managed to get out of his cage while I wa

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old green cheek conure. Today he managed to get out of his cage while I was at work. He is in my bedroom and no one normally goes in there. My brother discovered him wondering around on the floor. They eventually caught him and out him back in his cage. No one is really sure how long he was out for. I went into my room and looked at him. He was extremely fluffed up and had his eyes closed while still making noises to my arrival. I took him out of the cage to see what was up. He has no issues with balance. I snapped my fingers in front of his face and he didn’t even respond to it. I gave him fresh food and water and he ate quite a bit. I currently have him out sitting on my chest. He is still all fluffed up and is constantly ruffling or flapping his wings. I am concerned he might have gotten into something or something happened while he was out. Hes not acting normal and I am wondering if I should take him to the ER or not.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:
How is Little Bird at this stage?
Did you find anything chewed or nibbled after his adventure?
Does he still appear to be fluffed up, even though he has had some time to rest and recover from his adventure?
Do you think he is drinking more?
How are his stools?