Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have a male canary who has been almost weekly past

Customer Question

I have a male canary who has been almost weekly for the past 3 weeks bleeding rectally. My friend who I bought him from aver twee years ago does not have an answer.
I live in a small town in south central Kentucky and there isn't any vet whop does an avary practice within 100 miles of here.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
Is the blood on his bottom or in the droppings? Can you describe those for me?
Are you 100% certain the blood is coming from the vent? sometimes they can have a lacertion very close to the vent that drips blood and can fool anyone.
Can you upload photos? Poops and/or bird
Can you tell me more about the bird?​
Any accidents or trauma?
Interactions with other birds/pets/children/guests?
What is the usual diet? has it changed recently?
Has the bird gotten into anything?
Tap or bottled water?
What do you use in the bottom of the cage?
How is he set up?
IMPORTANT Check the website for the feed you give, there have been many recalls; or check this link:
https://www.avma.org/News/Issues/recalls-alerts/Pages/pet-food-safety-recalls-alerts.aspx?fvalue=Other
or
http://www.petfoodrecall.org/
or
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm
If you feel comfortable with it, examine the bird thoroughly, using gentle restraint via washcloth or hand towel: do not restrict the chest or hold around the body. Check the eyes, nostrils, mouth and beak if possible, having a good look in there for mucus, redness, masses or anything else unusual. Palpate the tummy for pain, fluid, lumps or anything else (eggs, if female or unknown). Check all the joints for swelling, pain, and mobility. The feathers should be parted to view the skin, muscles and skeleton below; this can be done using a q-tip with isopropyl alcohol or KY gel. Look for bruising, lacerations, injured feathers.
Your job is to keep the bird warm, safe, quiet, and confined; and to provide adequate hydration and calories.
Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean.
Send me a photo of the white paper towels after he poops on them.