Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

HiIs Neomycin and Polymyxin sulfates dexamethasone ophthalmic

Customer Question

hi
Is Neomycin and Polymyxin B sulfates dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension used as ear drops for lovebirds?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there a natural product I can use as ear drops?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I can't correspond with you outside of this venue. There's no reason why that ophthalmic suspension couldn't be used in her ears but I must admit that the diagnosis of ear infection in a lovebird should be circumspect. Bacterial ear infection is rare in pet birds. There are viruses (paramyxovirus) that can infect the inner ear but those cause signs of inner ear involvement - ataxia and head tilt. Neoplasia (cancer) can also involve the ears.
What are you seeing that prompted the diagnosis of ear infection, please? I would prefer if nothing - natural or not - were instilled into her ears if it wasn't necessary.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please clarify, how does the charges for this session work. I really prefer to speak to you by phone.
A year ago, he had discharge from his left ear, I took him to a vet who gave me drops and said that unless it clears I would need to have his ears flushed, about a week later the discharge cleared. I purchased extra drops to have handy should the situation reoccur (since the vet is over an hour drive each way). When I checked the drops on Sunday, I noticed that it was eye drops and not ear drops, I was not sure if they shipped me the wrong meds. I also notice that he often jerks his head in a very rapid motion and I read online that it can be related to an ear infection. Another concern is that he opens his mouth as if he is yawning while jerking his body in a forward/backward motion. In addition he sometimes does not want to take a bath which leads me to suspect that it might be a problem with his ears.
Thank you.
I'm not privy to your financial arrangement with the site. Please contact***@******.*** for more information. Thank you for the additional information. We do use the more convenient and cost-effective ophthalmic products instead of those labeled for the ears when addressing the uncommon ear problems we might encounter.
I'll opt out which will allow other experts to enter this conversation and perhaps be able to speak with you by phone. Please don't respond to me or leave a rating - either of which will dissuade others from entering the conversation.