Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cockatiel is about 11 years old. She hasn't eaten

Customer Question

My cockatiel is about 11 years old. She hasn't eaten for two days but today she started to eat again. I thought maybe she was producing an egg, which she has done in the past. Tonight when I went to look at her she was on the bottom of the cage, breathing heavily. Don't know what you do to make her comfortable.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no immediate indication of an egg-binding event. No egg showing.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I'm afraid that your cockatiel is critically ill. Once a bird acts ill, they're quite ill. This is a protective mechanism because ill birds will be attacked by other birds in the wild.
Her inappetence, weakness (on the bottom of the cage, avoiding perches she might fall from), and panting aren't symptoms pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder and so seeking the attention of an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) at your earliest convenience is indicated.
Until she can be attended to, please heat up her environment to 80F which can be done by shining a 100W bulb into her partially covered cage or by taping a heating pad set at its lowest setting around the sides of her cage. Remove her perches and place her food and water on the bottom of the cage along with her. Add an avian vitamin (Oasis, e.g.) to her drinking water at a one half the dose on the label so as not to make her water distasteful. Add a water soluble calcium supplement such as Calciboost or Calcivet. These supplements are available in pet/feed stores.
Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water if for the only reason that ill birds won't drink enough to medicate themselves properly. Please respond with an update and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please, I would lije my money back. She died in the time that you could have at least told me how to comfort her. Your service is reprehensible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you don;t give me my money back I can assure you that YOU WILL NOT HAVE a 4 star rating from the BBB. I will make sure of that.