Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

One of our chickens was attacked this morning by an eagle.

Customer Question

One of our chickens was attacked this morning by an eagle. I'm pretty sure it's left wing is broken and there is a lot of exposed bloody, raw skin. I've put antibiotic ointment on her exposed, raw areas. She cannot seem to lay down because of he pain. My parents are considering putting her out of her misery, but I still have some hope for her. Would it be a waste of money to take her to the vet?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.I'm sorry to read of your chicken's injuries. Unfortunately, the injuries you've described, particularly the possibly broken wing, are extremely painful, and the bones in the wing won't mend correctly unless properly treated. The cost of the medical attention she would require could easily run into the hundreds of dollars. Sadly, there are very few chickens whose owners can afford that kind of care for their birds. I would have to take your parent's side both because of the cost and the pain she's going to experience if not treated correctly. If you should have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you. Kind regards, *****