Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

I have a hen that is limping. The pad of her right foot is

Customer Question

I have a hen that is limping. The pad of her right foot is swollen and there is some mud caked on both feet.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.I'm sorry to read of the problem you're having with your hen. Chickens' feet are a vulnerable area for lacerations and infections, and a cut on the bottom of the foot can quickly become infected by bacteria, causing an abscess. This condition is called "bumblefoot". Are you familiar with bumblefoot, and do you think this may be her problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not familiar with the condition. What do I need to do to correct the problem?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Okay, we'll start from the beginning. Bumblefoot is a bacterial infection of the pad on the bottom of the chicken's foot. It is often caused by an injury from a sharp object like wire, glass or pottery shards. The yard should be thoroughly checked over to try to find any of these to prevent future problems. awdust, or other litter material may be used to cover over any areas that have this kind of material in them.Once it has become well-established in the foot, bumblefoot can be extremely difficult to treat successfully. The best approach I've ever found is outlined online here: http://backyardchickens.yuku.com/topic/6681#.VXBrzNJViko. Follow the detailed directions carefully, and I've never seen a treatment failure. Please let me know if you have further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you.Kind regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a bunch.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
You're most welcome, let me know if I may be of any further assistance to you.Best regards, ***** *****