Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I have an African Grey Parrot that is 10 years old. He has

Customer Question

I have an African Grey Parrot that is 10 years old. He has been eating very little Monday and today -- seems to be having difficulty sitting on his perches, not stepping up to come out of his cage, and almost falling over if I take him out and sit him on the floor. So not like him. Any thoughts? I need a good bird vet in the Arlington - DFW area. Also I have three other parrots -- all seem fine.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I'm sorry to read of your Grey's condition. Significant behavioral changes in birds are definitely red flags for underlying health conditions. Birds in the wild have an instinct that causes them to camouflage their symptoms in order to avoid attracting the attention of predators and bullies in their own flock. While this has a survival value to them in the wild, often letting them survive long enough to recover from what was ailing them, it works against them in captivity as they often hide the signs of illnesses until quite late in the course of a disease, sometimes causing treatment to be delayed until it's too late. The signs your bird are showing are serious, and he may be much sicker that what he's showing, so I would definitely recommend taking immediate steps to get him to a qualified avian practitioner. You can locate those nearest your home by going online to www.aav.org/search.His symptoms are shared by far too many diseases to allow me to even hazard a guess as to what might be wrong with him without a thorough physical examination and more than likely some testing to see how his organs are functioning, but if you should have any further questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you. Kind regards, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. No thoughts or recommendations of a vet. I note your website you have referred me to has NO AVIAN VETERIARIANS IN TEXAS> NONE OF THIS HELPED.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
I agree that I have offered nothing by way of a diagnosis, but this is because there are simply too many conditions that share the symptoms shown by your bird. Kidney failure, liver failure, infectious diseases of all sorts, dietary issues and a host of other health conditions may all manifest with the signs being shown by your bird. I checked online for Texas avian veterinarians and found the following list: TexasAustin, TX - M. Scott Echols (Westgate Pet & Bird Hosp) -(###) ###-####ollege Station, TX - David N. Phalen (Texas A&M Univ CVM)College Station, TX - Agnes Rupley (All Pets Medical Ctr) -(###) ###-####t Worth, TX - Shannon Ferrell (Ft Worth Zoo) -(###) ###-####ouston, TX - Natalie Antinoff (Gulf Coast Avian & Exotics) -(###) ###-####- http://www.gulfcoastvetspec.comHouston, TX - Sharmon Hoppes League City, TX - Janis Robin Scott -(###) ###-####- http://www.safarivet.comSugarland, TX - Stephen A. Fronefield (ABC Animal & Bird Clinic) -(###) ###-####'m not sure how current the list might be, but at least it's a start for you. If you should have any specific questions about your bird, I will be glad to answer them for you.Best regards, *****