Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

I am looking to ask a question about a Pekin Duck. Ricky (my

Customer Question

I am looking to ask a question about a Pekin Duck. Ricky (my duck) was in his pen when a dog tried to attack him and while the dog didn't get him, Ricky started "ping pong balling" off the sides of his pen and hurt his wing. The shoulder (top) portion of his wing is ok but, he cannot open the bottom part of his wing to make a full wing span. Do you think it is broken, sprained or bruised? Sprained and bruised I imagine will resolve itself with time. Broken he would need care. He does attempt to flap his wings to shake off water but like I said, he cannot open the bottom portion.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
How long ago did this happen?
Will he allow you to gently palpate the wing?
Any swellings, obvious sore spots, bone instability or crunching?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It happened Sunday, May 31st. Yes, he will allow me to gently palpate the wing. I am not sure about swellings, sore spots, bone instability or crunching. The wing is a bit droopy now and he still can't make a wingspan with the bottom part of his wing. Thanks for answering. Jennifer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it helps, I can take a short video of what it looks like when he tries to flap it. I am just not sure if there is a way to get the video to you. Let me know. Thanks.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
Do you think he is resistant to fully using the wing or unable to?
A video would be great, all you need to do is post it on YouTube & then paste the web link here.
I will keep my eyes peeled for your video,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think he wants to use his wing as opposed to being resistant. I will post a video in the next few hours when I get home. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello ... I tried for hours different ways to get him to flap his wings and I couldn't get him to do it. However, I did pick him up twice and I palpated the wing - I even went under his wing a little. He got restless when I went underneath so I put him down (hoping he would flap his wings since I "ruffled his feathers" lol) -- but, he didn't. I took a short video just to show you what it looks like. It's not the greatest but, hopefully you can see what I am talking about. FYI - It's his right wing. Thanks again, Jennifer Here is the link to video .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbeuzMeWMZE
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That is always the way, even when we need them to show us what they are doing in the consulting room. In any case, I will have a peek at the video shortly and let you know if he is giving us any clues.
Speak to you soon,
Dr. B.
PS- It seems the video has been marked private, so I am not able to see it. If you can adjust that, I will have peek at what Ricky is up to. Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I m going to send you 2 pictures instead. It will be better because what I am trying to show you is how he holds his wing against his body "naturally" now. What I think happened is his wing was open and he hit the fence and the bottom part of his wing got "pushed backwards." Almost like if your doing something and your fingernail gets pushed backwards. I was hoping as he tried to flap it it would fall back into place but it will be a week tomorrow and it looks no different. Anyway, I think the picture might be easier for you. Thanks again, Jennifer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Well, Ricky is certainly challenging us with not being keen to demonstrate what signs he is showing you. In any case, from the photo alone, I do agree that he is dropping that wing. Now if you are not feeling any hints of fractures, swellings, or obvious defects; then we can put bone based damage and any dislocations lower on our list of concerns for him. Instead, the main concern is whether we have a muscle/tendon/soft tissue sprain or nerve based damage. This why I asked if he seemed resistant as opposed to unable to move it; since paralysis or lack of function can be a sign of nerve damage. And if he does seem resistant instead, then we'd hopefully be facing soft tissue injury that can be medically managed.
Therefore, if he has some movement and feeling in that part of his wing, we will need to continue to rest him. Severe strains can take weeks to settle. As well, it'd be ideal to considering treatment with an anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Carprofen, etc) to reduce any tissue inflammation, reduce soreness, and get him using the wing properly sooner. Now these are prescription, so you will need your local vet to dispense them. Otherwise, while not ideal (especially if he did have a trauma recently), you could consider baby aspirin at a dose of 25 mg per pound of body weight once daily. Though I do have to have to warn that this medication is also a blood thinner. This means if he has any internal injuries or bleeds that haven't been appreciated, this could cause some potentially fatal side effects. But if it has been a few days and was just blunt force trauma (so active bleeding less likely), then it would be an option to consider to see if we can allay her discomfort and get him more comfortable an.
Overall, these would be concerns at this stage for Ricky. Therefore, in cases of this nature, we'd often rest and use pain relief to settle the signs. But if they didn't improve or lingered, then we'd be concerned about nerve function or subtle bone based issues and need to consider a check with his vet.
All the best for Ricky,
Dr. B.
If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help. Please remember to rate my service afterwards, as this is how I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thank you for that reply. I don't want to give him aspirin - that may make things worse. Can I wrap the wing with medical tape so I know he is resting it? I had thought about taking him to the vet. If I can find one that will take payment in two or three payments I will. Thanks again, Jennifer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jennifer,
That is fine, I do think the other pain relief options are always better but did want to provide a full picture. Otherwise I would not advise wrapping it just because that will often cause more issue then help. And I would note that he sounds to be refraining from using it himself. So we want to keep resting and hopefully the local vet will be amenable to helping (or at least offering Care credit or a payment plan so we can address this for Ricky).
Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I am going to call some vets near my home tomorrow. I don't want to tape it and, as I said before, I don't like the aspirin idea so, I'll just go get it checked out. Thanks again. Jennifer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, Jennifer.
No worries at all, I do think that is the best course of action for wee Ricky. :)
Please take care,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)