Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My female lovebird had pecked her mate twice in the last 2

Customer Question

My female lovebird had pecked her mate twice in the last 2 weeks drawing blood. How do I stop this ? Does he really need to see a vet?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that I can't correspond with you outside of this venue. At least for now, you're going to need to separate your birds. The wounds on your male aren't likely to become infected but it would be prudent to gently cleanse them with 3% hydrogen peroxide twice daily until they were well healed - usually within a few days. Avoid applying topical antibiotics as anything you apply will eventually get ingested and toxicity from these products is a problem.
Females can become quite aggressive due to hormonal changes during breeding season ("nesting" behavior) as well as territorial disputes and jealousy. The peach-faced lovebird is probably the most aggressive of the lovebird species. This isn't something you can train out of a female but, instead, you can place their separate cages adjacent to each other and watch for signs of her desiring to commingle once again. Be patient, this can be many weeks.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.