Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I had 200 Cornish cross 6 weeks of age they have slowed

Customer Question

Hello I had 200 Cornish cross 6 weeks of age they have slowed eating drinking act lethargic we're losing a couple here and there now losing 5/6 per day I put some duration in the water no change. I originally thought enterprise I'm not sure
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I put duramycin 10 in the water I originally thought it was enteritis
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. With so many birds at stake in your flock, it's imperative that either a newly dead bird be refrigerated (not frozen) or a sick bird be sacrificed and a necropsy performed in an attempt to confirm which infectious agent - if, indeed, an infectious agent is present - is causing these deaths. Contact your county animal disease diagnostic laboratory. If you can't find a listing for the laboratory, your public health department should be able to give it to you.
Unfortunately, the symptoms you've mentioned can indicate any number of illnesses or health issues. In avian medicine, there's rarely one cause of a condition, so we usually begin with a list of differential diagnoses and use lab tests and physical exams to differentiate. With this in mind, your best course of action is to reach out to your county-extension poultry personnel or avian-oriented veterinarian (please see here: www.aav.org) for help in differentiating the various causes of what you're seeing. Veterinarians can perform a physical exam and run diagnostic tests, including X-rays, to distinguish between the various etiologies.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.