Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My bird sounds congested - like she has a cold. Is there something

Customer Question

My bird sounds congested - like she has a cold. Is there something I can give her to help her breathing?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a pineapple green cheek conure - will be 1 year old on June 25th.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She sounds like she is wheezing and I am very concerned as how to help her.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, if she suffers from a respiratory infection as seems to be the case, she'll need to see an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) who can thoroughly examine her and perhaps perform testing in the form of blood tests and cultures of her choana and cloaca (the slit between her oral cavity and nose and her "bum", respectively). An antibiotic dictated by the results of testing can then be prescribed with which you would dose her directly into her beak.
Avoid over the counter antibiotics designed to be placed in her water if for the only reason that an ill bird won't drink enough to medicate itself properly. Make sure that an avian vitamin (Oasis, e.g.) is in her drinking water because a vitamin A deficiency can cause respiratory symptoms as well. Primary seed eaters are at risk of nutritional deficiencies and secondary disorders to those deficiencies. Please tell me what he diet has consisted of.