Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My duck has had an impacted crop week. Is there anything

Customer Question

my duck has had an impacted crop for a week. Is there anything I can do to help?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, i'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. I've been offline for the weekend and away from my computer. I'm sorry to read of your duck's impacted crop. The crop is a blind pocket that birds use to store food. If they ingest hard, indigestible or stringy materials, the crop can become stuffed full resulting in crop impaction. There are other reasons for this condition to occur as well, but the ingestion of foreign materials is the most common. Any veterinarian with surgical skills can help save your duck for you, but many are hesitant to take on this job because they're not familiar with birds. Do you have a farm veterinarian closeby? They tend to be a bit more courageous than small animal veterinarians.