Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My eclectic parrot is constantly moulting under his wings and

Customer Question

My eclectic parrot is constantly moulting under his wings and legs. He is super healthy otherwise.
Connie
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you tell me, please, Connie, if Puppy is feather picking those areas? I need to differentiate persistent molting from his causing the feather loss - a more common scenario and so I'll post my synopsis of feather picking for you at this time:
I can understand your frustration. The etiology of feather picking/chewing/self-mutilation can be a challenge to determine particularly if you don't have an avian-oriented vet (please see here: www.aav.org) available where you live. Both medical and behavioral causes exist.
Birds usually chew the breast feathers and areas under the wing and around the legs but any pattern can present. Feathers on the head remain unless a molt or medical disorder is present. Medical disorders include infection with the protozoan parasite Giardia spp. and should be a consideration when picking of the feathers over the ventral (lower) abdomen is seen and zinc toxicosis due to chewing on zinc-plated cages has also been shown to be linked to feather picking. Anecdotal reports suggest that a unilateral (one-sided) pattern of picking may indicate a disease process under the area of picking such as ovarian or renal disorders. Viral infections such as psittacine beak and feather disease or polyomavirus, bacterial folliculitis, dermal yeast infection, or topical irritants need to be considered as well.
Rarely do birds feather pick with external parasites. There are many rule-outs for behavioral feather picking including improper socialization when raised by humans resulting in phobic birds or those with obsessive-compulsive disorders - which should be a consideration when this behavior is preceded by a molt. A traumatic event can cause a bird to become nervous and pick; anecdotal examples abound such as witnessing an attack by a hawk outside the window at a bird feeder, the owner leaving for vacation, a change in the color of the cage, a nervous owner, and the death of a mate or owner. Some birds improve in a new home with a new owner for unknown reasons.
Here's where an avian-oriented vet will be necessary...
All possible medical causes for a bird's feather picking are evaluated first; then if no medical cause is found, behavioral causes are explored or presumptively treated with psychotherapeutic drugs such as clomipramine which would need to be prescribed by a vet. A complete blood count and biochemical profile, blood lead and serum zinc test (Louisiana Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory can run this test on just 0.1ml of blood and serum), X-rays, psittacine beak and feather disease test, and fecal ova and parasite exam and fecal ELISA test for Giardia spp, if necessary, are performed along with a feather follicle biopsy and culture. Consider the introduction of toxins into Puppy's environment as well - the great majority of which can’t be tested for.
General and presumptive treatment includes removing any stressors, improving Puppy's diet - please tell me what his diet consists of - and restoring what he perceives as a normal environment. Consider clomipramine - a psychotherapeutic drug available from his vet - which works well in true obsessive-compulsive disorders. Distracting Puppy with toys, a "sweater" over the area may help but be sure that he can also engage in normal and necessary preening behavior. A collar isn't recommended as it doesn't allow him to engage in normal preening behavior, normal feeding behavior, and normal movement. A collar should only be used if he's in imminent danger of hurting himself (self-mutilation). Finally, many birds normalize once their molt is complete and so simply "watchful waiting" may be appropriate at that time.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The problem is that the molt is not ending. it's been going on for over a year. The while feathers are under his wing and around his legs. It does not seem to want to end. The breeder sais his parrots don't mold at all. What is wrong with Puppy?
If Puppy continues to remove newly emerging feathers, he'll continue to stimulate new growth which will appear as if he's continuing to molt. If his skin is diseased, instead, only correcting that disease will stop his molting. You'll need an avian-oriented vet to identify such diseases.
The breeder misspoke. All birds molt. Most molt in an orderly manner so enough feathers are always present to keep the bird healthy. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will take him to an Aviary vet.
Sounds good. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.