helperDVM
helperDVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal veterinarian that also sees exotics pets of all kinds.
76789122

Pionus bit its foot off during the night. What do I do until

Customer Question

Pionus bit its foot off during the night. What do I do until I can get it to the vet tomorrow. Every vet with bird experience is closed today
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry. The biggest concern would be blood loss and infection. You can start by cleaning the area with a mild hand soap (like dial) since it is antibacterial. Try not to touch it with your hands. Use Q-tips to apply the warm soapy water to the area then rinse it completely with warm water. If bleeding starts again you will have to stop it as she has likely already lost a lot of blood when she chewed it off. You can stop bleeding by dabbing either cornstarch or flour on the area (again try your best not to touch it with your fingers). The easiest way to do that is to put the powder in a cap of a soda bottle and dip her stump into it. You can use a Q-Tip to press the powder in. Once you have controlled the bleeding if it restarted. You will need to dress the wound. You can do this by adding a small amount of antibacterial cream directly to the stump using a Q-tip. If she continues to try to bother the stump at this point you can take a small amount of cotton roll - or toilet paper with tape and bandage over the end so that she cannot continue to hurt herself.
As for her cage - remove any high perches - since she has one foot suddenly she may find it hard to balance. Make sure you have a food and water dish down on the floor of her cage. So that Dillyn can have access to it without trying to climb. Make her a comfortable area on the floor of the cage this would be paper bedding or cotton bedding or a small hand towel in a small bowl. Encourage her to sit there by hand feeding ( if she will let you) or making sure that the food and water are very close.
I'll be thinking about you both! Let me know what the vet says tomorrow! Good luck.
Expert:  helperDVM replied 1 year ago.
How is Dillyn??Please rate my response if you are satisfied so that I can be compensated for my time.