Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Bird has legion or tumor like bump next to her beak . she is

Customer Question

bird has legion or tumor like bump next to her beak . she is a wild bird that was rescued from a baby. lump as been seeming to grow rapidly in a matter of days. she always itched that area. could it be mites ?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 2 years ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
It is not mites.
Possible pox virus, nutritional issues, trichomoniasis, bacterial abscess--and more.
How long have you had the bird? What is the diet? She needs to get to a quality wildlife rehab center ASAP.
I know this sounds mean. I am a vet for wild birds at a wildlife care center, and have been for many years. I see this all the time. AND it is extremely important to conservation of wild birds and the environment that the bird not be contagious; and that she be strong and healthy enough not only to survive, but to raise her own family in the wild. This is morally and ethically the only choice. She was not meant to be a pet.
I know you mean well, and are a good-hearted person with noble intentions, but try to interfere as little as possible. It is very difficult to treat a wild baby that has secondary problems due to human-caused injury and malnutrition.
Wild birds are wild for a reason. They are difficult to care for properly in captivity, even by experts. People with little or no experience can inadvertently cause great harm that will require the bird to be euthanized. No one wants that to happen.
The little bird will have the best chance of survival if taken to your local wildlife care/rescue center. They will feed it the appropriate diet, assess its veterinary needs, rehab and hopefully release it in your area. Care of wild baby birds requires extensive training and experience. It also requires state and federal permits.
http://www.nwrawildlife.org/