Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

My parakeet flew very hard into

Customer Question

My parakeet flew very hard into a wall and now just wants to sit on the bottom of the cage. What should we do. We have a flock of 10...separate cage...treat tenderly..what else?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have Sarge in a shoe box on a soft shirt and he'll grab a finger with his claws but he just wants to lay still. He'll move his wings slightly but is wobbly when he tries to stand.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Poor Sarge!
If you do think he hint the wall hard, especially with his head, then we do need to tread with care and consider a check up once his vet is open to make sure there is no internal bleeding or head trauma that may require treatment.
Now in this situation, you are very limited with what you can do here. If he is comfortable in the box that is fine but we need to be careful when handling to avoid pushing him over the edge (especially since shock is a real concern with his situation).
Further to seclusion, the key is to keep everything as calm, quiet, and warm as possible. So, we'd want to make sure where they currently are is warm (86-90 degrees F), secluded, and dimly lit. Ideally, I would usually say that this should be a single level cage wher they have easy access to food/water and the floor lined with soft substrate (ie wash cloth, towel, etc).
If you need to provide additional heat, you can use a heating pad and place it beneath half the cage if need be. Alternatively, you can make a safe warmer for him from a clean sock filled 2/3rd full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Make sure to shake it before adding it to the cage, to allow the heat to distribute. Make sure its not too hot (as we don’t want to burn him. If it cools, you can re-warm as required). Whichever technique you use, do monitor the temperature closely, since we don’t want to overheat him (and we cannot be confident he would move himself if he grew too warm).
Furthermore, you can make food and water easily accessible for him, but do not press him to eat or drink if he isn't keen just now. We again want everything low key and don't want to press or stress him. As well, I would just note not to be tempted to give Aspirin (as some people do with their birds). The reason is because its pain relief is poor but even more so it is a blood thinner (which is dangerous if we have any internal bleeding).
Overall, based on your history, Sarge is at high risk of shock and internal injuries. Therefore, at the moment, the first point of call is to provide a secure, safe, dimly lit, calm, and warm environment to let him settle. As long as he is settling by the time his vet opens, then you can transport him for evaluation for traumatic injruy and pain relief. But if he is still struggling when the local vets are open, you may want to see if they can come to him to provide care and prevent any further stresses that could push past his coping point.
Just in case you do need an avian vet and do not have one already, you can check where you can find one at near you at:
AAV (http://www.aav.org/search/),
Avian web (http://www.beautyofbirds.com/recommendedvets.htm),
Lafeber database (http://lafeber.com/pet-birds/find-an-avian-vet/) or Birdsnway (http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/vets.htm).
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately Sarge passed away before we got a response and there is no bird vet in our area that handles emergencies. I requested assistance at 10:30 pm and got your response at 1:30 am after Sarge passed. I will not recommend this site or your services!I kept refreshing aft r it said 8 minutes for someone that to respond!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear that he has passed and that none of my colleagues could aid you before I had arrived. I am afraid that I cannot control their schedules and can only apologize. I will send your question back to customer service (no reply needed) so they can assist you.
Dr. B.