Andrea Scheer
Andrea Scheer, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
76806804

Have a female parakeet, just the one, that has 46 eggs

Customer Question

Have a female parakeet, just the one, that has laid 46 eggs since 12/22/2014 to date. The latest ones are lacking the shell, mostly membrane. what if anything can be done to help?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Andrea Scheer replied 2 years ago.
Hello this is Dr. Scheer and I saw you post about Mia and her chronic egg laying. If she is laying eggs without shells, then she has expended all her calcium. I would start by giving her a daily calcium supplement - even a bit of yogurt or buy liquid calcium at a pharmacy.
A couple questions for you - do you have a nest box for her? Is she laying in the box or elsewhere? Have you tried switching her eggs out for fake ones and letting her sit on those?
Keeping her cage covered so that she only has 6-8 hours of sunlight will also help reduce her egg laying. I recommend making both changes.
If husbandry changes won't stop her egg laying there is a drug called Lupron which will work on her pituitary gland to make her stop laying but you will need to get this from a veterinarian. There is also the option to spay her. This tends to be a last resort as bird spays are not considered a routine surgery.
An aside - be careful with a cuttle bone, they can cause mercury toxicity if she is chewing it often. It is also a poor source of mineral but it sounds like you're supplementing her well!
Hope that helps. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss things further.
~Dr. Scheer
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia. How is everything going?
Andrea Scheer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Started the calcium suplement treatment. Too early to tell at this time. Hoping for the best.
Ok well let me know if I can answer anything further for you!