Dr. B.
Dr. B., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  As a veterinary surgeon, I have spent a lot of time with bird cases and I'm happy to help you.
60269376

Papa Bluebird was killed; mama still around.Babies just a

Customer Question

Papa Bluebird was killed; mama still around.
Babies just a few days old---no feathers yet.
What can I do to help moma?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,
I am very sorry to hear what has happened to this wee bird family. The best thing you can do for this little family is to ensure that mum has easy access to food.
Naturally she will be foraging for insects and wild berries. But if you give her easy access to a wild bird seed mix and supplement it with meal worms ( dry or live from the pet store) then this will decrease the time she needs to be away from her young ones looking for food. Ans that way you will also reduce her struggles to meet her little one's growing food needs.
Overall, mum's workload will have doubled with the loss of her partner. But if you can ensure easy food for her then you can give her and her little ones the best chance of surviving this tragedy.
Please take care and all the best for the bluebirds
Dr. B