Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Help please! I have a lethargic gosling. I went out a few minutes

Customer Question

Help please! I have a lethargic gosling. I went out a few minutes ago to check on all the birds in the coop and saw the 2 gosling underneath outside. It has been raining all day. I put both of them in the indoor brooding box with a heat lamp but it felt colder than the healthy one and didn't want to move or stand. Is there anything I can do to help it? I am in cloquet Minnesota.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
How old are they?
How long do you think they were separated from the mother?
Were they wet?
Any possibility a predator could have gotten them?
Are the other birds ok?
Try to get him to drink some warm water. If he does so willingly, alternate with warm sugar water. He can have as much of both as he will take. If he doesn't drink by himself, just dip a few drops along the beak margin, it
S not water proof and the drops will go in. Don't force it.
You can set up hot water bottles under a towel in a nest arrangement. Plastic water bottles on their sides will work just fine. If you put them on a heating pad they will stay warm. Cover the bottles with a towel and both goslings can go in together.Just make certain it is on low so as not to over heat or burn the gosling.
If he is hypothermic and not injured, the biggest risk is pneumonia in the next few days, so he should see a bird-experienced vet ASAP.