Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

I have a 3 yr old Eclectus male parrot that has developed a

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old Eclectus male parrot that has developed a painful scab on one leg that is about 2-3" long. He seems to be in pain and picks at it often. He won't eat or play, just sits and keeps the leg raised as well as he's fluffed up. The very dry crusty substance has been there for a week or so. I thought it was some food he'd gotten into at first, but as the days went on he became less active. What is this thing on his leg?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I apologize for the length of time this reply has taken to get back to you. I've just come online this morning to find it in the stack. I'm sorry to read of Buster's painful condition. How long has it been since you first noticed the lesion?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply, but I took buster to my vet. He's chewing his legs and causing his issue. She gave him an antibiotic shot and metacam. I don't require your help any longer. I needed help ASAP.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. Thank you for the update. Hopefully the treatment he received will take care of the problem, but if the problem should return, please let me know and I'll be glad to help. Warm regards, *****
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Buster. How is everything going?
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Buster isn't much better. He is still chewing on his leg. He's still in pain. Now the vet says he has the shingles from a polyoma virus carrier. I don't know but if you have any answers on how to make him pain free and stop chewing on his leg till it bleeds, that would be great. He's on a pain med and I'm putting concentrated Emu oil on his leg. Helps some but not enough.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. I'm sorry to read of Busters persistent problem. Sometimes an original problem can be gone, but the bad habit hangs on. At this point, I would suggest using an Elizabethan collar to physically prevent his being able to access the area with his beak. I don't recommend this approach until it's fairly obvious that the medical approach isn't working alone. You can buy Elizabethan collars online, or you can actually make your own if you're a bit handy. You may want to ask your veterinarian about an anti-anxiety medication like Zolof to help relieve the OCD-like symptoms of Buster's behavior. If I can be of any further help, please let me know.
Best regards, *****