Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

Opinion needed on vet's prescription

Customer Question

Hey. I have a sick Budgie that I just took to a vet but I don't trust their prescription and dosage as they knew nothing about birds and it was based entirely on my vague memory of what another vet gave him four years ago. They even questioned my memory of the dosage as they said it didn't sound right... I'm planning to get a second opinion tomorrow (no other vets open today) but I was wondering, if possible, if you could give your views based on the following information.

My budgie (Charlie) is usually very active but he's been fluffed up, quiet, sleeping and has been having very watery droppings for the last day or so. The vet has given me 0.30 x Baytril 2.5% oral 100ml, with the vague instructions of "one drop twice a day", of an amount that he sounded very unsure of.

If you have any knowledge about this antibiotic for budgies, does that sound like a correct amount to be giving him?
I'm worried about giving him an overdose or too little.

Thanks,

Paul

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Camille. Thanks for your reply.

As you suggested, I had to look elsewhere for some advice so I no longer need an answer via this question. Closing it would be great, thank you.

Appreciate you getting in touch.

Paul