Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

I thank my cockatiel has broken her beak at the top of her

Customer Question

I thank my cockatiel has broken her beak at the top of her beak, is there anything that can be done. She doesn't seem to be in pain and she is eating.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
Greetings, I am Dr. Pat. I have worked with birds for many years. I will do my best to help you.
Is it right near the nostrils or at the tip? A crack or all the way off? You can upload a photo and that will help.
What happened? And how long ago?
She should see an experienced vet IMMEDIATELY for a hands-on evaluation.
I have seen and treated many kinds of beak trauma, including complete loss of upper, lower or parts of both. Birds can adapt to very major loss, and do well. BUT an effort should be made to savage and bits that are left, control pain, control infection, and provide foods that are easy and safe. In comparison to how we react to the damage, they do have pain but not as much as would be expected; but pain control is very important to the healing process.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just came all the way off, she was bleeding, but I got it to stop.
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 1 year ago.
That is similar to having your thumbnail pulled off, and it hurts. The bone layer is exposed? Or is it removed completely (by another bird?) just below the nostrils? A photo would help me prognosticate.
You should offer soft and easy food until it heals. Do not try to force food or water. Pedialyte or electrolyte replacer can help but many birds do not like them; when in doubt, plain warm water is best. They can hydrate from oral fluids almost as quickly as IV if the GI is functioning properly. You can offer warm cooked rice, pancakes, cornbread, grapes, melon, greens in addition to normal food. If there is normal poop then she is eating. If not, then she isn't.
She needs to see a vet for Rx antibiotics and pain medicine.
And she should be confined so that she doesn't try to climb and hurt it more.
Move the bird to a box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that can be reached easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Check it frequently, no overheating allowed! Keep the unit partially covered, warm and quiet. White paper towels or white cloth towels will show the true color of the droppings. Small animal/reptile boxes are great for this purpose. The bird, bowls and unit must be kept very clean. Here are some helpful links:
https://www.pinterest.com/awepono/emergency-care/