Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

My Rhode Island Red hen acts like something neurologically

Customer Question

My Rhode Island Red hen acts like something neurologically is wrong. One of her feet is drawing up and she lays over acting drunk. I am a nurse and had some Cindamycin which I dissolved in water with apple juice which she takes readily she seem a little better but foot still drawing up and drunk some.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob. I apologize for the delay in this reply, but I was offline yesterday. I'm sorry to read of your hen's condition, and I agree that it sounds like a neurological problem. There are a number of different conditions that may cause symtoms similar to those you've described. I'll have to ask you a few questions in order to give you my best opinion of what may be wrong with her. How old is she, and have you added any new birds to your flock in the past two months?