allpetsdr, Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been practicing for 10 years. I work with exotic pets, dogs, cats, small ruminants, camelids and pigs.

My sun conure lost his tail feathers today will they grow

My sun conure lost his tail feathers today will they grow back

allpetsdr : Hi this is Dr M and I will assist you today.
allpetsdr : First of all, I am sorry to hear that. Unless damage of the feather follicle has occurred, the feathers will grow back over the next couple months. To regrow them is a normal mechanism for birds to maintain the ability to fly. During the year, birds will go through molting to keep the feathers in good health at all the time.
allpetsdr : For sunny to lose all his feathers, I would suspect some traumatic event. It is very unlikely that feather follicle damage has occurred and they will all grow back.
allpetsdr : Nutrition is an important component for feather growth. The recommended bird diet is 50-75% pellets, a little less that 25% fresh vegetables and sprouts, less than 5% fruit and less than 1% seeds and nuts. If sunny is mostly eating seeds, to gradually change his food into a pellet diet would be recommended. Some good pellet diets for birds are harrison's bird food, supermen and roudybush bird food.
allpetsdr : Please let me know if I can be in any further help.