Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

I have a few chickens with swollen eye with drainage coming

I have a few chickens with swollen eye with drainage coming from their eyes and nose. They also have a rattle in their chest. I tried to get them to the vet today, but my vet doesn't do chickens and I never heard back from the local vet that does! Some also have a few white spots on their combs that appear to have blackened in some areas. Help!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of your problem with your chickens.
Have you added any new birds to your flock in the past two months?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. I added a bunch of new birds about 2 weeks ago and I found out that this is a bad idea as I was researching how to treat my sick birds.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Yes, that was a bad idea. The rule of thumb is to quarantine new additions for 4 to 6 weeks.
Are any of the sick birds new?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am new at this and the farm they came from was healthy and clean. No new birds are sick as far as I can tell, it is my original flock that is sick.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Okay, thank you.
Apparently the new birds were carrying one or more conditions. The swollen eyes and other respiratory signs are common to a number of different diseases, most, but not all, are caused by viruses. Have you noticed a particularly bad odor associated with the discharge from their eyes and noses?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I have not. I have noticed that the discharge seems bubbly though.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
I suspect your poor birds are suffering from two different diseases, pox (dry) and either infectious laryngotracheitis or infectious bronchitis. Have you notices a reduction in laying, or thin shelled or misshapen eggs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sick birds are not laying at all. And there are a few thin shelled/misshapen eggs in the coop at this time among the birds that still seem healthy. I have them seperated.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
The eggs are indicators that the respiratory virus is present in the hens. The hens laying these odd eggs need to be isolated. The most likely disease causing the symptoms you're seeing is infectious bronchitis, the most contagious of the poultry respiratory diseases. Infectious laryngotracheitis is the second possibility, but the symptoms fit infectious bronchitis better. You can look each of these diseases up online to read detailed descriptions of each.
all you can do for them is to support them, picking the scabs of the pox away from their eyes and mouths so they can eat. An electrolyte solution in their drinking water is often helpful as is the Tylan you're already using,
Vita-Tone is a good brand of electrolyte, or you can make your own at home using 1/3 teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium chloride) 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda 1 teaspoon of table salt in one quart of water.
This is a tough situation in which to find oneself, but hopefully proper care will help most or all of your girls to pull through this "double whammy" situation.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Best regards, XXXXX
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They do not have pox near their eyes or mouths. They are currently on "bird gatorade" and have been for the past 3 days. Does not having pox change the diagnosis?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
The white spots on their combs that turn to black are the reason I mentioned pox. It may be early in the course of the disease. If the scabs don't interfere with eating or seeing, that will be very good, but continue to watch them closely to be sure they aren't compromised in their ability to eat.
If I may be of more assistance to you, please let me know.
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are eggs from infected birds safe to consume? How long after the Tylan should I wait before I consume the eggs of those who are on it? Are the pox a seperate disease or part of the two mentioned previously?! Final question, are there any foods I can give them to encourage recovery? Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 years ago.
The eggs are safe without treatment, but should be discarded for two weeks after the last dose of Tylan.
Pox, infectious laryngotracheitis, and infectious bronchitis are all different diseases.
Good quality feed, augmented with a daily handful of dry cat food for each five birds, along with a teaspoon of cod liver oil added to each pound of feed will raise the quality and quantity of the protein in their diet, as well as supply oil soluble vitamins, important to their recovery.
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in general practice, including avian.