Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.

Help my chicken is egg bound, what can I do?

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of RoJo's condition.
The first thing to try is to set her in a warm water bath to help her relax. After half an hour in the bath, keeping the water warm by adding warm water, if she hasn't produced the egg, another approach must be taken.
Place a lubricated gloved finger into her vent while holding her upside down between your legs on your lap. See if you can feel the egg. If you can, feel it, squirt a generous amount of KY Jelly or olive oil into her cloaca through the vent. Next, press the egg toward the vent with your other hand through the muscles of her abdomen, while wriggling the egg back and forth with the finger in her vent. If you can't get it to move, a sharp needle or nail can be used to puncture the egg shell and the egg can be collapsed to allow it to pass easily. Be very careful in removing the broken egg shell that you don't cut her with the extremely sharp edges of the shell. Flush her cloaca with 3% hydrogen peroxide afterward to remove the egg white and yolk.
Hopefully you can get the egg out with one of these techniques, but if you can't, a trip to a veterinarian may be necessary to save her. Egg binding is an emergency situation that may result in death if not resolved within 24 hours.
If I may be of further assistance to you, please let me know.
Kindest regards,
Dr. Bob