Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.

crimson bellied conure: My pet..feather..bleeding stopped

My pet crimson bellied conure looks to have bumped into something and caused an incoming feather shaft to pierce the skin and made her bleed. The bleeding stopped as we cleaned her up with water and she is now in my shirt drying off and keeping warm. I'm afraid to try using any disinfectants or ointments on her. I have no hydrogen peroxide or betadine; I do have witch hazel (astringent), Bactine (active ingredients are Benzalkonium CL .13%, Lidocaine HCL 2.5%), and a pre-surgical soap I was given for a surgery called scrub care (active ingredients are chlorhexidine Gluconate 4% solution. For topical ointments I have Bacitracin ointment. Are any of these safe to use on conure's?
I've also heard vinegar can be used, but at the moment I only have white whine vinegar.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of your conure's injury.
You have all the supplies you need to treat this injury quite nicely.
Use the pre-surgical scrub to gently clean the wound, rinse well and pat dry, then use the Bactine as a topical disinfectant. That protocol repeated daily for five to seven days should allow optimal healing without complications.
If bleeding should be a problem, 5 minute super glue gel is an excellent hemostatic treatment. Dab the blood dry, apply a drop or two of the glue, then press a small piece of facial tissue into the glue, pressing in place for twenty seconds. Let the glue set for one minute, the wet the excess facial tissue and peel it away, leaving as mall patch in place.
This can be done as often as needed, and is a great way to safely stop bleeding from all kinds of minor wounds.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Kindest regards,
Dr. Bob