Fiona Steel
Fiona Steel, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS MRCVS
38775184

My chicken is limping badly. What can I do for her?

Customer Question

Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Fiona Steel replied 3 years ago.

Fiona Steel :

Hello

Fiona Steel :

While Bertha is limping, you need to isolate her, so that she rests the leg and is not bullied by any other birds you have.

Fiona Steel :

Place her in a box in a warm place away from any stress, make sure that she has easy access to water and feed her, her usual diet.

Fiona Steel :

Try and get a good look at the foot and leg she is limping on, check for any swollen areas, heat or injury. Look especially at the bottom of the foot. A common condition is bumble foot, where an infection builds up in the foot. This would require antibiotics and probably a trip to your vet to sort out.

Fiona Steel :

You can find a poultry friendly vet in your area using the web site below

Fiona Steel :

In the meantime to provide some pain relief, you can crush 5 regular asprin and mix these with a gallon of water. Use this as the drinking water. Be sure to tell your vet that you have done this, so that they can advise properly if they would like to change the pain medication.

Fiona Steel :

I'll link you to another site which goes into detail on various poultry foot and leg problems.

Fiona Steel :

www.PoultryPedia.com

Fiona Steel :

I hope this information is helpful and that Bertha is soon feeling better.

Fiona Steel :

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX

Customer :

There are no vets in my area that are poultry friendly. I'll try the aspirin. I already looked up bumble foot and don't think this is the problem. Though I appreciate the feedback I think $50 is too much for the answer.

Fiona Steel :

Try the asprin and keeping her confined hopefully this will sort her out.

Fiona Steel :

I will refer this question to customer services, hopefully between you, you can work out what value you would like to place on this answer.

Fiona Steel :

regards XXXXX XXXXX

40856.7678337616