Dr.D
Dr.D, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal and Exotic Animal Veterinarian . Licensed in Florida and Canada

My six week old chicken cant walk or stand on either leg.

My six week old chicken can't walk or stand on either leg. More so on the left leg. It has been like this for over nine days. I took the chicken to the vet just over a week ago and he could not feel any breaks in the leg. The left leg extends towards the back when he tries to get up and someitmes the right leg does this too. The chicken tries to get the left leg up under him but it is like he does not have enough muscle coordination to get his feet or leg under him. I have been feeding him the following mix:

2 tablespoons of layer pellets
1 tablespoons of yoghurt... not the sweet one with fruit in it .. the one with the active bacillus
1 tablespoons of grated apples and carrots.. must be grated not cut into chunks
1/2 small teaspoon of honey
1/2 boiled egg.. using only the yolk... crumble this into the mix and a tiny pinch of crushed multi vitamin.

Could the chicken have a spinal or neurological disease if the vet cannot feel a break. The reason I did not get it x-rayed was because he wanted $200. My daughter is five years old and wants me to save the bird.

KF
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.D replied 3 years ago.

Dr.D :

Hello there, Welcome to JA , I am DrD , Thank you for the question

Dr.D, Bird Veterinarian
Experience: Small Animal and Exotic Animal Veterinarian . Licensed in Florida and Canada
Expert:  Dr.D replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr.D replied 3 years ago.
This sounds a viral infection more than a spinal cord problem.
New castle disease can be seen in chicken between the age of 1 week to 72 weeks .It is caused by a virus called paramyxo virus and is the most important and most prevalent disease in poultry.
Sudden death is common.With very harmful viruses, first indication is sudden death. Then, symptoms such as depression, weakness,
lying down, green diarrhea, swelling of the face, and nervous signs may appear, ending in exhaustion and
death. Other signs include twisting of the neck, paralysis of legs and arched position of the body.
Mortality may occur up to 100% in chicks.

Marek's disease :Marek's disease affects chickens from about 4-6 weeks of age. It occurs usually between 12 and 24 weeks of age, but older birds may also be affected.
A particularly characteristic posture is that in which the bird lies on its side with one leg stretched forward and the other backward Non-specific signs such as weight loss, paleness, shrunken combs, loss of
appetite, and diarrhea may be observed, especially in birds in which the course is prolonged.

Unfortunately there is no known treatment for the viral diseases I mentioned above.

Chicken with a Marek's disease

Please follow the link for more information about the Marek's disease.
http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf

I hope this helps. If you would like to ask more questions please come back and post here. I may not respond right away but will be reading my posts tomorrow.