Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.

My chicken has a prolapse. She was covered in poo. I have

Customer Question

My chicken has a prolapse. She was covered in poo. I have been bathing her to try to get her clean but she was mucky for about 18 hours before I was able to do anything for her. There seems to be a black encrusted end to the prolapse which I have been bathing for sometime but it doesn't seem to want to come away. Is this likely to still be poo or is this a sign of infection? Can I try to push her back without the area being completely clean?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of your hen's prolapse.
It is not necessary to try to clean this tissue, as it is the inside out equivalent to the rectum in a bird. Simply gently wipe off any straw or obvious dirt, coat the exposed tissue with Preparation H (human hemorrhoid medication), push the tissue back up into her body, and hope it stays put.
Usually this condition is brought about by the chicken straining for some reason, in young hens, trying to lay an over-sized egg is a frequent cause, but diarrhea and other causes of straining can cause it as well.
While it's pretty late in the game for her at 18 hours, it's still worth the effort to try.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.