Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

what is the reason a chicken might sleep during the day just

Customer Question

what is the reason a chicken might sleep during the day? just stand there and appear to be asleep.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
Normal chickens will sometimes take "breaks" and nap for short periods, but if she's showing any other symptoms like loss of appetite, changes in droppings, breathing difficulties, coughing or sneezing, color changes to her comb or wattles, changes in egg laying patterns, changes in the way she moves, any discharges from her eyes, nose or mouth, then she may be showing this behavior as part of an illness.
If she's normal in every other way, parasites should be suspected, and her droppings analyzed by a veterinarian. Most veterinarians can perform this service for you, whether or not they normally accept birds as patients. Parasite eggs are fairly similar from species to species.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the comb and discharges from the eyes are there or was from the rooster
also the rooster appeared to be chilled or cold looking and the weather was cool but he was in the roost house peeper seems to be doing the same thing he was. i was just thinking that something must be going on there. i also have same chicks in the roost house and they are in cages. do i need to watch them too.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.
You should definitely watch the chicks in the cages. Chicken respiratory disease can travel long distances through the air.
Was his comb lighter than normal?
Did the discharge from his eyes have a color to it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
white but not coming out or oozing
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you, and the color of his comb?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it was red but on the top kinda burnt looking black not red just on jthe very tips
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
That sign could have been due to dehydration. Birds that don't feel well often fail to drink enough water. White matter in the eyes can also indicate dehydration.
There are a large number of disease conditions that may cause the symptoms you've described. Many of these diseases are caused by bacteria and viruses that must be correctly identified in order to understand what is going on, how to treat the condition, and what the outlook for your other birds might be.
We just don't have enough information at this point, to hazard a guess as to what is causing your birds' problems.
I would suggest starting by submitting a sample of her droppings. Coccidia is one very common parasite that can cause the symptoms you've seen.
If I may be of further assistance, please let know.
Dr. Bob
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
let me tell you that the rooster that i talked about was in a cage with hens that had scaley leg? their legs were growth like warts or extra white humps on legs. the hens were running loose. then caged and still caged trying t get the scales off . another rooster that is on the yard is a white cochin . and i thought at one time i heard him snarling or coughing. then sneezing . they are all toghether on the yard with peeper and more dominics chicks woul i need to get poop from any one else that shows signs of being sick. also i am going organic in the chickens so i woould need to treat according. i just got some diatomaceous earth for dusting for mites. and flies. i will get her tested for coccidia soon. please reply and i will get back thanks
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
This case is becoming more and more complex!
Homeopathic medicine is not within my expertise, sorry.
If you'd like, I'll be glad to opt out, to see if another expert can help you.
Dr. Bob