Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.

how long do quaker parrots live. mine acts like he is dyn

how long do quaker parrots live. mine acts like he is dyng. he isn't throwing his temper rants around and is very quiet.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.
I'm sorry to read of Shitbird's condition.
A major behavior change is often the sign of a health problem.
The average life expectancy for a Quaker can be 25 - 30 years. The average Quaker kept under normal circumstances, probably only lives 10 - 15 years. HIs age is a testimony to your good care.
Tiny dietary deficiencies are quite often responsible for pet birds' lowered resistance, and birds with these deficiencies eventually contract illnesses in their later years that shorten their lives. It's been estimated that 90 - 95% of illnesses in pet birds are diet related.
If you have a veterinarian familiar with birds, they can probably help little Shitbird by treating whatever is wrong, but a thorough physical examination, and testing, is needed to discover the cause of his lethargic behavior.
If I may be of further assistance to you, please let me know.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I buy him parrot food what other food does he need?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
A proper diet for parrots consists of 75% high quality pelleted complete diet food like those produced by Lafeber, Harrisons and KayTee (available online and in better pet shops), 15% fresh vegetables (mostly) and fruit, especially dark leafy vegetables like kale, Swiss chard, mustard and collard greens, cilantro, carrots tops attached to the carrots, spinach, fresh red, yellow and green pepper slices, dried chili peppers, cooked squash, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, and yams, and 10% seeds and nuts.
Most parrot foods sold in pet stores are 90+% seeds and nuts, plus, they are not shelf dated, so you have no way of knowing how old they are, and vitamins are often long gone by the time you feed them to your bird.
If you birds has not been eating this kind of varied diet, it is likely that he's suffering from one or more deficiencies of vitamins, minerals or micronutrients.
It's not easy, and may not be possible to switch a bird over to a healthy diet at Shitbird's age, but still worth a try, once you get him straightened out with the problem he's showing presently.
Try new foods a little at a time, offered to him in the afternoon. If you try in the morning when they're most hungry they tend to become impatient, and reject the whole project. If the afternoon they're more curious and will sometimes begin to try new things.
Some birds will not even try, or just barely pick at the new offerings. There's not much that can be done to help these guys, they're too set in their ways.
If you should have further questions, please let me know.
Dr.Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in general practice, including avian.