Ask Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP Your Own...

Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP
Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP, Veterinarian, Bird
Experience:  DABVP Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, Veterinarian since 2000
14784321

There is a bird (I beleive it is a Robin) tapping on my bedroom

There is a bird (I beleive it is a Robin) tapping on my bedroom window with its feet and sometimes its beak. It appears to be trying to get in. I have a dark blue curtain on the white window and I've pulled the curtain back and discovered what has to be at least a hundred prints on the pane. The bird will sometimes hover for a second to see in and has seen me but does not appear to be scared. What should I do?
Thank you
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Laura Devlin, DVM, DABVP replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for your question.

I am Dr. Devlin, and I am happy to assist you with your bird question.

The bird (robin or other) is tapping at his reflection in the glass. Many birds are very territorial or aggressive toward their same species. Male robins in particular are very aggressive toward other male robins.

There are a number of tricks that you can try to disrupt this behavior.

The first is to cut out black silhouettes of birds of prey - hawks, owls, etc, and tape those onto the window. That may discourage the bird from returning.

Depending on your location, placing a fake owl or two outside near the window location may also help keep the bird from returning.

You can also try - tying balloons outside the window, or taping up strips of foil to flutter outside against the window.

Also, taping crumpled foil inside the window may help decrease the reflection.

Fake cats, fake lizards and snakes in the window sill, etc.

Hope these ideas help and that you get some rest!
Please reply back if you have more questions!
Sincerely,
Laura Devlin
Experience: DABVP Specialist in Canine and Feline Practice, Veterinarian since 2000