Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years in general practice, including avian.
18324312

My budgie has possibly broken one of thr toes on her claw.

My budgie has possibly broken one of thr toes on her claw. I am not sure how she did it, but she had very little strength in it and one of the 'toes' that she goes back over the pirch sometime comes forward and she loses her balance. Also sometimes when she walks the toe/claw comes forward as if she has dislocated it.

She seems fine in herself, tweeting, whistling, is there anything a vet can do? I try to carry her as much as possible rather than put too much strain on her claw. Will it mend ?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Bob.

I'm sorry to read of Scoobs' injury.

How long has it been since the injury occurred?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It happened just before Christmas
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you.
Have you sen any improvement in the use of the toe since noticing the injury?

(I'm leaving for lunch right now, but will continue to work with you when I'm back online. Go ahead and answer the above question, and we'll pick up where we left off when I'm back online this afternoon.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, she does seem to have a little more strength as she hops onto my finger, but I am concerned about the way one toe has no use.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I'm back.
Have you seen any increase of strength or range of motion in the affected toe itself?
Sometimes the toes on either side of an affected toe can become stronger to compensate for the loss motion or strength.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have only felt strength in her whole claw or leg in general. As she hops onto our fingers she is now stronger in that leg and we have all felt it. Unfortunately, although I thought she was getting better with all the care our family have given her and helped in her moving around as little as possible herself, I noticed yesterday that one toe on

her claw that should be facing back and down had turned upside down and facing up again just like it had done several weeks previously.

Do you think a local vet could do anything to help and if so what ??

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 years ago.
Hello again.
Judging from your description, It sounds like your bird has broken the toe and that the fracture is displaced. Unless your veterinarian is an avian specialist, I doubt whether they will be able to help very much.
Even if they are an avian specialist, they would need orthopedic specialty training to hope to help this particular condition.
Fortunately, birds are quite adaptable, and she will probably get around quite well in spite of this handicap.
If I may be of further assistance, please let me know.
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Veterinarian
Experience: 35 years in general practice, including avian.