Deb Jankura
Deb Jankura, chicken veterinarian
Experience:  I am a veterinarian, I kept chickens for 20 years with special rare breed interest
9480295

One of my chickens just died. She had become very lethargic,

Customer Question

One of my chickens just died. She had become very lethargic, anti-social and her comb had become pale and began to droop. I did not notice any respiratory problems, but I did not examine her. I had just noticed the symptoms a couple days ago. Any ideas? There seem to be hundreds of chicken illnesses. Will the rest of my very small flock be affected? What could I have done?

Thank you,

Kerrie
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Deb Jankura replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Deb Jankura :

Hello and welcome, I'm Dr. Deb and would like to help. I hace kept chickens for over 20 years ans have encountered many problems.

Deb Jankura :

and obviously forgot to spell check and don't type well

Deb Jankura :

I won't be online too much longer tonight but we can continue tomorrow or you can switch it to a regular question instead of a chat.

Customer :

I can be online @ 6:00 pm your time if that works with your schedule. Having had chickens for so many years, I sure hope you can help. I've noticed a couple more chickens' combs turning a paler color. I am going to my neighbors to look at hers. They all came from the same flock.

Deb Jankura :

Hi are you here now/?

Deb Jankura :

Pale combs would mean anemia. I was going to say that if it were only 1 hen there are many problems-egg binding, egg yolk peritonitis for example that could cause those symptoms but now others are ill also?

Deb Jankura :

I can check back around 6 if you cannot chat now

Deb Jankura :

some things to check- have you looked closely for signs of lice or mites? Was there diarrhea, decreased egg production, swollen combs or wattles, or any other signs?

Deb Jankura :

If another dies you need to find a lab that will do a post mortem exam. Sometimes this is the best way to find out what is going on to save the rest of your birds. I am not sure where you live but there are county extension agents that deal with these things- you could call your state offices or if there is a state university near you there should be people there that could help. I can try to find something more specific if I know where you are. Sometimes backyard chickens can pick up diseases from wild birds, sometimes these are things the authorities need to know about so testing is often free.

Customer :

We are in East Texas. Very smelly diarrhea. I will find out today when I collect eggs if she was producing at all. I looked today for mites, but don't really know what to look for. I will research that today and look for more definate symptoms this evening. I hope to chat with you around six.

Customer :

Apparantly she was not laying, now there is one more who is not laying...probably the one that is getting pale. Even the rooster's comb is starting to get pale around the edges. I only have 4 hens left out of a dozen. My husband says each egg is worth $500.00 at this point. I don't want to lose anymore or see anymore of them suffer. What could it be? What can I do for anemia? I put oyster shells out, but that's for protein, right? How can they get iron? No swollen combs, decreased egg production, diarrhea (green).

Customer :

I think it's mites. Big Boy (the rooster) had black dots that look like pepper on his comb yesterday. If you have any other suggestions please reply. Will mites cause decreased egg production and DEATH?

Customer :

Better go do something while it is still light...sorry I missed you.

Deb Jankura :

sorry I got here as soon as I could I will read your notes now

Customer :

are you still there?

Deb Jankura :

Mites can be

Deb Jankura :

bad but not usually fatal

Deb Jankura :

I am worried about avian flu or another viral disease

Customer :

I am beside myself. Any other ideas? I read about how to detect mites. My coop is clean as a whistle, no mite dirt (or whatever). I did think that the symptoms matched A14

Deb Jankura :

are you anywhere near the university in Texas that has the vet school? I think it might be A & M?

Customer :

Don't you hate it when people read all about things on the internet? We are near Overton - a research center.

Deb Jankura :

I think you should get an extension or veterinarian or pathologist involved I don't know if Overton does poultry stuff. I could look it up if you want. If you could get a diagnosis you would know what to expect

Deb Jankura :

I can also find references on avian flu signs in chickens if you had a few minutes

Customer :

Okay. I appreciate your help. I will call my vet tomorrow. I guess he does chickens.

Deb Jankura :

I'm afraid they have something bad, if you check back here in a little bit I will add some links to more info

Customer :

If you don't mind taking the time to let me know the symptoms, I would appreciate it. Is that pretty common? It's not THE avian flu is it?

Deb Jankura :

not the dreaded one that affects humans and has been in the news usually. I will do some research and post some more info soon

Customer :

I won't bother you after that. I just hope my vet knows something about chickens. He mainly does small animals. I really appreciate your time. I will check back in an hour or so. Thanks again. This is a great service.

Deb Jankura :

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/62/avian-influenzahighly-pathogenic-hpai-fowl-plague these are symptoms
http://www.usda.gov/documents/AvianFluBrochure.pdf --check page 2 for a toll free number to call
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=atpw1d5NvSm4 --Avian flu has been in Texas this year

Texas

Dr. Bob Hillman, State Veterinarian --you can call the state vet for info on what to do next
Texas Animal Health Commission
2105 Kramer Lane (Zip 78758)
P.O. Box 12966
Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNNbr>512-719-0700 (Office)
512-719-0721 (Fax)
E-Mail:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Web site: www.tahc.state.tx.us

Deb Jankura :

it is no bother if you have any more questions I may be able to help with just ask, I will check back later

Deb Jankura, chicken veterinarian
Experience: I am a veterinarian, I kept chickens for 20 years with special rare breed interest
I was just wondering how you were doing and if you were able to get a diagnosis. If you have a chance you could let me know here?