Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Bird and exotic animal veterinarian for over 16 years.

I have a turkey with wart like lesions on his head. How can

I have a turkey with wart like lesions on his head. How can I treat it? I have been using an iodine mixture, but it's not working and the warts are getting worse. They are all over his bare skin areas
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question. From your description of wart-like masses on the non-feathered areas, it is likely that Egor has avian pox. Avian pox (fowl pox) is caused by a pox virus which is spread by mosquitoes or vectors (people, dust) or direct contact. There are different strains of the virus (canary pox, pigeon pox, fowl pox).

There are 2 forms of pox - the wet (diptheric) and the dry (cutaneous). If the lesions are only on his skin, then he has the dry form. The wet form can have lesions in their mouth and gi tract and tends to be more serious.

There is no treatment for pox and it needs to run it's course. The warts should start to scab up and then heal. The iodine can prevent a secondary infection but will not change the healing time. Since they are covering his eyes, you may need to help him with eating and drinking if he can't see well.

This can be a contagious disease so you may see other birds in your flock affected also. There is a vaccine that can be given to young birds.

Here is a site that shows some pictures in mostly chickens. See:

I wish I could tell you more things to do and I hope he recovers soon. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Dr. G