Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time, with a heavy emphasis on avian medicine.

can dog and pet birds get along What breed is best

can dog and pet birds get along? What breed is best?
My name isXXXXX and I would be happy to help you with your question.

I have a lot of experience with both dogs and birds, and have seen a lot of dog and bird relationships over the years.

Regarding the dog: avoid any breed of dog who has been developed over the years to capture and kill critters. This means no terriers. Toy breeds are also generally unpredictable. Sighthounds should also be avoided. Flock guards and other working dogs are most easily trusted. Retrievers CAN sometimes be trusted with birds, however, and have quite soft mouths. Don't forget the the right-natured mixed-breed dog could also be your ideal bird buddy. Look into the medium and large sized breeds: retrievers, corgis, mastiffs, bulldogs, spaniels, shepherds...

Regarding the bird: the larger the better its chances are for surviving any injury from a dog. Macaws, cockatoos, and amazons can hold their own with even a large dog just fine.

All of that considered, the nature of your environment and the individual dog and bird personalities matter most of all.

I hope this information helps you as you consider this....

Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how about pugs, havanese,collies and shelties? these were some breeds I liked. I have cockatiels and a lovebird
I think all the breeds you have mentioned could be OK with birds. Pugs are absolutely delightful and love everyone and wouldn't hurt a fly. Havanese might be OK, but are a bit more inclined to be nippy. Collies would be ideal---they are protectors. Most shelties would be fantastic, but some that I have seen are over the top and seem to want to kill small critters. The right sheltie would work.

Since you already have your cockatiels and lovebird, I think that the dog you choose will do well if you bring it home as a puppy and it is raised with the birds. You will always want to supervise their interaction and enforce clear and consistent rules about what kind of contact will be allowed. Your cockatiels and lovebird will still be able to deliver a painful bite to any dog (especially on the nose), but keep in mind that even a small dog will quickly be able to issue a lethal injury to a small bird.

Overall, remain optimistic. If you train your new dog appropriately, you will do just fine!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.