Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Small Animal/Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 35 yrs! Former Zookeeper

please could you give advice on my cockerel. I think he is

please could you give advice on my cockerel. I think he is about 5years old and for about 2-3 weeks he has become increasingly unsteady on his feet. Sometimes he lies sprawled out almost unable to get up again and then half an hour later walking again. He eats and drinks well and his feathers are bright and glossy. At night night he is no longer able to perch but sits on the floor of the hen house.

The signs you are describing may go with a number of generalized problems such as:

• trauma
  • toxicity
  • internal disease: heart/liver disease, reproductive tract disease
  • tumors
  • serious bacterial/fungal disease
  • parasites

At this point your best option is to have him examined by an avian vet. Try, or

Until your appointment, please isolate in a safe, well-enclosed small area to limit his exercise, with his favorite foods and water made easily available.

There are no safe or effective OTC products to use.

I hope this helps and answers your question. If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the green ACCEPT icon. If you have more questions about this problem, please press 'reply'. Bonuses and feedback are always appreciated. Thank-you.

Dr. Lisa