Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Bird and exotic animal veterinarian for over 16 years.

Hi, I have inside my house a small bird with broken neck. I

Hi, I have inside my house a small bird with broken neck. I didn't know what to do and I put it inside my cats warm house and the heater. I know he is dying but what I should do. Is imposible to tooch it. Looks like is sleeping because is warm. He was stressed out calling or tweeting because was cold.

Could you please advice?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question and for trying to help this bird. Right now you have done the correct thing by bringing him inside. Just keep him in a box with air holes in a warm, dark, quiet place. I would keep at about 80F if possible. It is doubtful that he will eat anything.

Please try to find a wildlife rehabber in your area that can help. These are people who have licenses to have and take care of wildlife. Most work with veterinarians when they have a sick or injured animal. I doubt he would live with a broken neck so maybe he just flew into a window and dazed himself.

Here is a list of some rehabbers. You can also try contacting local vets to see if they can recommend someone or try local humane society also. See:

Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again for trying to help.

Dr. G