Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

What should I do if my canary is breathing heavy

What should I do if my canary is breathing heavy? He is a male and has stopped singing and has been staying on the bottom of his cage - he is eating some and has his feathers puffed up.
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
Canaries are prone to respiratory infections and pneumonia; he is very ill. He needs to get to an avian-experienced veterinarian ASAP for complete examination, diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Check the link  http://www.aav.org/association/index.php?content=activeMembersList for members of AAV in your area or call your regular vet and see who they recommend.

Move the bird to an aquarium, box or carrier with soft towels in the bottom, no perch, and food and water in low bowls that he can reach easily. Put the whole thing on a heating pad on low or medium. Keep him partially covered, warm and quiet.

Do not try to force food or water. Transport as soon as possible.

Pet/feed store medications are harmful, ineffective, immuno-suppressive, and make them much worse and may interfere with the veterinarian's diagnosis and treatment. Do not use them.  

He may need injectable fluids, tube feeding, oxygen therapy and many other medications to save his life. Act quickly and good luck.