Andrea Roberts
Andrea Roberts, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years as a companion animal veterinarian; BVMS and MRCVS.

my 17 yr. old cockatiel has a growth on his wing, looks like

my 17 yr. old cockatiel has a growth on his wing, looks like a ballooning of the skin

Hi there

This actually sounds like it could be a 'cyst' which is a collection of fluid under the skin- antibiotics will have no effect on it.

To confirm if this is the case take him to your vet for an 'FNA'-fine needle aspirate- and if clear fluid is withdrawn then it is a cyst- which he should be able to live with without it causing him an issue.

To find an avian vet in the US go to and use the 'find a vet in my area' link on the left of the screen.

Regards Andrea

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Andrea,
Thanks for helping. I live in Canada so where might I find a website for that? Tigger doesn't seem to be bothered at all, except he preens a lot there, and picks at dried blood where feathers have unsuccessfully tried to come out. His appetite is strong and he has a respiratory problem which is why I'm treating him with antibiotics, to which he usually responds very well to.
Thanks again.
Warren MacDonald

try which lists some certified vets in Canada at the bottom of the list.

If it doesn't bother him then it may be best to leave the lump well alone- but an FNA will at least give peace of mind that its nothing to be worried about.

All the best Andrea

The site does have some Canadian vets listed