Dr. G.
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  Bird and exotic animal veterinarian for over 16 years.
11849417

my parakeet has a fungus around the eyes. Its crusty and ring

my parakeet has a fungus around the eyes. Its crusty and ring like- it looks like a growth. It has spread over the past few months. What should I do?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your budgie. In order to best help you, I need to ask a few questions.

Is there any way you can take a picture of your bird and post it? You can use the tree icon on the JA tool bar.

Is it whitish and dry looking?

Where do you live at? (for vet referral if needed)

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be a place to start.

Dr. G

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried to take a picture (not great) and we will try and send it. graphic Yes, it is whitish and dry , crusty looking. It goes from the sides of her beak towards the eye and under/around it. I live in Glen head NY Thanks
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the photo. You did a great job.

I can't diagnose anything w/o seeing your birds, but from the photo, the most likely reason is that the bird has a parasitic infection called Knemidokoptes. This mite is fairly common in budgies. This is also called 'scaly face'

Treatment if usually very succesful. She will need to be seen by a vet who can confirm the diagnosis and start treatment. Treatment is usually with a drug called ivermectin and there is marked improvement after just one treatment though she will need at least 2 treatments. I would also recommend treating the other bird in the cage also. This drug can be easily overdosed so that is why it is important that someone that knows how to dose small birds and dilute the medication sees them.

I did find a vet listing for Glen Head. See:

Jeffrey Krasnoff D.V.M., M.S. - Brookville Animal Hospital

691 Glen Cove Road, Glen Head, NY 11545 - Tel.(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

You may want to call locate vet clinics and ask who they recommend to see birds. If they all mention this Dr., that is usually a good sign. The following is another listing so you can search there also. See:
http://www.aav.org/search/results.php?filter=state&q=NY&Submit=Search

Please let me know if you need anything else. I know she'll get better soon.

Dr. G

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So are you saying that both birds need to be treated? I looked the condition up on line and it sounds like you are correct. I know Dr. Krassnoff- he used to be my dog's vet- he's excellent. The problem is he is also very expensive. Just to walk in it will cost $70 plus the treatment. Is there any way for me to treat this on my own? If not, can you give me a rough estimate of the entire process. I feel badly for the birds, but I adopted them last year from a co worker. My last parakeet lived 8 years and never had a problem. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.

You'll read about all kinds of 'home treatments' for this but I honestly have no idea of how they would work let alone if they would be safe.

Ivermectin is safe (when dosed appropriately) and effective.

Since you know this vet, you can also ask them for a discount or payment plan etc. If they came to see me, I would charge a full exam for the one with the obvious problem then a brief exam for the 2nd. They then both would then be charged for the treatment with ivermectin. On the subsequent visit (s), they are just charged for the injections, no exams. Maybe they could do something like this.

Please continue to ask questions if need be.

Dr. G
Dr. G., Bird Veterinarian
Experience: Bird and exotic animal veterinarian for over 16 years.