Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, Small Animal/Avian Veterinarian
Experience:  26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 35 yrs! Former Zookeeper
11043108

My Gteenwing Macaw has severe diarrhea with puddles of melted

Customer Question

My Gteenwing Macaw has severe diarrhea with puddles of melted fat. What tests need to be done? Thanks a lot. Oh, and Happy New Year!
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Hello:

-Did she have all three of those things?

-what, when, and for how long was she treated?

-any other household birds? new additions?

-what tests were done on her? results? anything repeated?

Thanks,

Dr. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, Dr. Lisa!

She was diagnosed with Enterobacter by one vet, and he presctibed an antibiotic to treat it, but no anti-fungal. That caused Secondary GastricYeast Infection that was discovered by another vet, who also diagnosed her with Cryptosporidium, and Ruby's being treated for that.

Gosh, who knows if she really has any of these illnesses, but since there's no improvement, I suspect it may be something else. I wonder if it may be her liver because of this "Melted" fat in her diarrhea when she eats nuts or seed.

The Meds Ruby took:

- Nystatin (for two weeks, started on June19, 2009)

- Viokase (pancrezimes, for suspected pancreatitis) - (on and off for about 3 weeks, started on Nov.1, 2009).

- SMZ/TMP - for Enterobacter (for 10 days, started on Nov.19, 2009)

- Celebrex - for suspected IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), (started on Dec.1, 2009 and took for 5-6 days, but Ruby got much worse after taking it, so I stopped giving it to her, - I didn't like this idea from the very beginning)

- Baytril/Flagil/Diflucan - for the Gastrointestinal Yeast Infection (for 10 days, started on Nov.1, 2009)

The only Meds she's been taking for a second week now:

- Azythromycin - for Cryptosporidium

- Diflucan - to go with this antibiotic

I wonder if Apple Sider Vinegar in drinking water, or just oranges, or Acidofilus/Bifidus would be better than Diflucan. I don't know if Diflucan is safe to be taken for 2 months as the second DVM prescribed, and what the side effects are.

For some reason, Ruby's disease started the day after she'd liad her 17th egg, and the largest one (it weighed 46 grams), on June 17, 2009 (she started laying the eggs on Jan.1, 2009). She laid it two day later than the other ones, and she cried both days in her box. She must've beed in pain. Actually, when she emerged from the box, she said: "Hurts". She talks, and this word she knows well since she and her mate become agressive to me during their breeding season and often bite me, so I mostly pretetend that I cry and say "It hurts".

We have just these two Macaws. They're our family, we've had them for almost 12 years.

Thanks a mil, Doctor Lisa!

Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Oh, just hearing about 17 eggs makes me hurt!

But I am still wondering about diagnostic tests?

-bloodwork?

-radiographs: plain and contrast?

And:

-what is their diet (fed vs. eaten) daily? supplements?

-full-spectrum lighting?

-outdoor aviary?

-are these eggs fertile?

Thanks again,

Dr. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Lisa,

I"ve been trying to respond by giving full answers for a third time now. I never finish my response before I get interrupted and my answers get wiped out. Can I get a few more minutes to finish my answer?

Also, it's quite late now. Should we postpone it till tomorrow morning?

Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Tomorrow would be much appreciated!!!

If you continue to have problems and it's with the site as opposed to your computer, try contacting JA's Customer Service.

Happy New Year,

Dr. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great!

Have a sweet night.

Very happy New Year to you!

Zhanna

Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 4 years ago.

You too!

Dr. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning, Dr. Lisa!

Ruby had the following tests:

• - Borna Virus
  • - TB
  • - Herpes (PCR)
  • - PDD (twice)
  • - Clamidia (twice)
  • - Giardia (twice)
  • - Cryptosporidium
  • - And maybe some more, I just don't have the full record. Sorry. Some vets don't feel too happy when they're asked for copies.

Ruby and her mate are in a 6'x8' flight cage, in a room all to themselves.

They have 12 full-spectrum lights in their room, and a heater to keep the room warmer than the rest of the house.

The humidity is controlled as well.

There have been no additions of any kind in the house, except that the birds were taken care of by our next-door neighbors for two weeks in the second half of April 2009 while Ruby was laying eggs. Lots of kids visited the room screaming and all. I'm sure both birds were stressed to the max.

Thank you much

Jeannette

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning, Dr. Lisa!

Ruby had the following tests:

• - Borna Virus
  • - TB
  • - Herpes (PCR)
  • - PDD (twice)
  • - Clamidia (twice)
  • - Giardia (twice)
  • - Cryptosporidium

The humidity is controlled as well.

Thank you much

Jeannette

Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 4 years ago.

Wow.

I'm sorry, I keep missing what you feed them!

And were any radiographs done (X-Rays)?

Thanks again,

Dr. Lisa

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry!

Food:

- Pellets

- Assorted nuts (Walnuts and Almonds are Ruby's favorite

- Veggies (Fresh corn on the cob is in great demand)

- Fruit (Ruby loves Tangerines & Oranges, and she's extatic about Grapes)

- Corn bread that I make for them

Before Ruby's illness they would also get:

-Cheese

- Burgers and Steak

-Chicken drumstick bones (they like bone marrow)

-Organic sunseeds

Ruby had one X-ray and one Ultrasound. Both showed a "mild destention that appears to be GI", but nothing else.

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Lisa,

I forgot to mention that Ruby is being rechecked for Cryptosporidium that one of the labs diagnosed her with.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 4 years ago.

You are certainly not making this easy!

I guess that I would start with the reproductive problem. Ruby's body cannot handle this egg production. I would remove all nesting sites and throw her into a non-laying cycle, which also means shortening her day length to 10-12 hrs of total darkness and quiet, rearranging her cage furniture, and even moving the cage (if that's an option).

Maybe putting her on some liver protectants (depending on what her labs look like).

Maybe a contrast radiograph to show transit time....

i believe that all the infectious organisms that you've mentioned are secondary invaders, and maybe by getting her body back to a nutritional normal (by stopping the eggs) you may see improvement. Make sure that the pellet she is eating is high quality (like Harrison's or Roudybush), and that about 90% of her daily intake is pellets.

That's the best I can offer you. Of course I would repeat her CBC (complete blood count, with differential), and have a Bile Acids run (but it sounds like your vets are great at runnung tests and have probably done so).

I hope this helps and answers your question. If you have more questions about this problem, please press 'reply'. If you are satisfied, press the green ACCEPT icon. Bonuses and feedback are always appreciated. Thank-you.

Good-Luck with your beautiful girl,

Dr. Lisa

Experience: 26 yrs of small animal vet practice. Dog, cat and parrot caretaker for 35 yrs! Former Zookeeper
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 4 years ago.

It will take a while to fix, but I would certainly appreciate your letting me know how things turn out.

Best,

Dr. Lisa