Dr. Oz
Dr. Oz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experience in an emergency/specialty center with cats, dogs, birds, reptiles, and small mammals
25402889

How do you set a birds broken wing

Customer Question

How do you set a birds broken wing?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Oz replied 7 years ago.

You need to take the bird to a veterinarian or to a wildlife rehabilitation facility if it is a wild bird.

Repairing a wing fracture needs to be done under anesthesia, and that is not something you can do at home. The bird should also have pain medications, and may need antibiotics if the bone has broken through the skin anywhere.

As a temporary measure, you can gently wrap the wing folded against the bird's body. Be very careful to not wrap too tightly or you can constrict their chest and keep them from breathing. Vetwrap or an ace bandage works OK.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have no access to a vet or a wildlife rehab center.
Expert:  Dr. Oz replied 7 years ago.
hmmm... if that's the case, you may be able to get the fracture to heal by wrapping the wing folded to the body, but it is unlikely that the bird would ever fly well enough again to be releasable.

You make kind of a figure 8 with one "loop" of the 8 around just the wing "wrist" and the second loop of the 8 around the whole body. Again, be sure it's not too tight.

Good luck-- and check the laws in your state regarding wildife rehab. In some states it is illegal for you to rehabilitate wildlife without a license to do so.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. I will try. I do have the licenses.