Dr. Pat
Dr. Pat, Bird Veterinarian
Experience:  25+ years working primarily or exclusively with birds
21122637

my rooster is losing his voice - only part of his crowing is

Customer Question

my rooster is losing his voice - only part of his crowing is coming out
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 7 years ago.
You could just observe his behavior for a few days, but I would worry that he has swelling of the voicebox, which is deep in the chest in birds. It can indicate bacterial, viral, or fungal infection of the airways. Sometimes they can inhale food particles and they get stuck in there. In any case, it is a serious problem. The fact that he is still acting normal is great. Unfortunately, I am going to recommend a vet visit, because if he has a fungal infection and you give him antibiotics from the feed store, that will be the end of him. It is really important to obtain a proper diagnosis and treatment, and that can only happen with accurate tests and prescription medications. He potentially could live 25 years, so it is worth the expense. Find an avian vet familiar with poultry. Check the link http://aav.org/search/index.php for members of AAV in your area or call your regular vet and see who they recommend. Good luck.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
he still crows but sounds like laringitis - otherwise he is doing good and no obvious problems - he just starting crowing about a month andhalf ago does that help any more
Expert:  Dr. Pat replied 7 years ago.
Laryngitis is inflammation of the human voice box. I suggest that he has the rooster equivalent, and since the organ is located in the chest, it can be associated with serious disease such as pneumonia. He will act oik for a while but then become overwhelmed.