Critterdr
Critterdr, Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ years small animal and exotics

I have a parakeet with a fatty tumor. What can I do and What

Customer Question

I have a parakeet with a fatty tumor. What can I do and What will happen?
Category: Bird Veterinary
Expert:  Critterdr replied 4 years ago.
How old is your bird?
Is the fatty tumor bothering the bird? Is it interfering with the
birds movement?
How is the bird acting otherwise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My bird is almost 3 yrs old. The tumor seems to cause a little difficulty in his balance when he moves about in the cage. He will sit on my finger but some times starts to loose his balance because of the weight in his abdomen. He eats, drinks poops and interacts with the other parakeet normally.
Expert:  Critterdr replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Well it sounds like it is a pretty large growth. If it is not growing inside the abdomen, it may be able to be removed surgically. Your vet would have to tell you if it could be removed or not. It may be worthwhile to do since your bird is young and it is causing some movement/balance problems already.
I hope this helps.
Critterdr, Veterinarian
Experience: 10+ years small animal and exotics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The tumor is not outside but is inside and is in the entire abdomen. Can it just be aspirated or would it have to be removed. Is this possible or practical and what could possibly happen it it is not removed. It does not seem to be affecting him a lot except for the times when I hold him and he returns to a branch. He then will sometimes swing upside down because of the weight. If a procedure is neccessary, how costly is it?
Expert:  Critterdr replied 4 years ago.
Hi
If the tumor is in the abdomen it will not be possible to aspirate it and surgical removal may be difficult. If it is not removed it could stay the same size or could grow even larger and impair his movements, breathing etc. I cannot give you any cost estimate as I have not examined your bird and prices vary depending on the region of the country that you live in.
Ask your vet to give you an estimate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou for your help. Since I have already taken him to the vet, I will follow up with them.
Expert:  Critterdr replied 4 years ago.
Ok, good luck with everything!